FSS Alumni/ae Network
The new FSS Alumni Network provides Friends Select School alumni/ae a private platform to reconnect and network through both mobile devices and computers!
- Once registered, users can contact classmates, read posted news features, create group pages, invite others to or RSVP to events, post or respond to job opportunities, and offer and receive career mentoring.
- Users can easily login using their LinkedIn and/or Facebook credentials, and can sync both accounts to the alumni/ae network.
- Alumni/ae can communicate within the site, and users can control what information is listed in the directory. Additionally, the alumni/ae platform is a closed network and password protected, so all information is secure. Directory information is compiled using alumni/ae records on file with the Alumni/ae Relations Office.
For more information, read through the instructions listed below. If you have additional questions, please contact Julia Greenberger email@example.com.
Click here to access the FSS Alumni/ae Network!
- Creating your account and registration
- Update your information
- Network Homepage
- Alumni/ae Directory
- Connecting and messaging
- Creating a User Account: Register with the FSS Alumni/ae Network using their LinkedIn or Facebook accounts, or a personal Email address.
- Approval Notifications: After clicking the “Get Started” button, users will be automatically taken to the platform's homepage, or will receive an on-screen notification informing them that their application is pending approval. The approval process is determined by the information on file with the FSS alumni/ae relations office.
- "Approval" and "Welcome" emails are sent when a user is accepted, either automatically, or by a site administrator. "Approval," "Welcome," and "Denial" emails are automatically generated by the platform. There are four sections of text on the "Welcome" email (Re-connect, Give Back, Expand and Advance), corresponding to the text on the platform landing page.
- If an applicant attempts to sign in while their application is pending, they will receive the pending approval text as an on-screen message.
- Its is recommended to register with LinkedIn and Facebook, since some education and employment history will be imported from these networks into your user profile on the platform. If you do not yet have a LinkedIn account, you can create one by hovering over the “Connect with LinkedIn” button and clicking on "Don't have a LinkedIn account? Create one now". When signing up with LinkedIn or Facebook, users are prompted to confirm that they allow access to some of their information from these social networks. *
- *Graduway, the platform provider, does not use any personal information imported from these accounts.
- Registration: On the first registration page, users complete basic identifying information, add a profile picture (if not imported through LinkedIn/Facebook), and fill in other fields, for example, degree, graduation year, field of study, company/organization, and profession.
- Users registering with an email address are also required to choose a password. Passwords must contain a minimum of 8 characters.
- Accounts created through LinkedIn/Facebook automatically use the login details associated with these accounts.
- On the second and final page of registration, users select how they would like to "give back" to their institution, for example:
- Willing to volunteer my time to Friends Select School (for example, help plan my Class reunion, speak to students, or help with fundraising)
- Willing to open doors at my workplace
- Willing to answer industry specific questions
- Willing to be a mentor
- Signing into an account: By hovering over the “Sign in” button on the launch page, users are able to login with their Facebook, LinkedIn or email credentials and password associated with their account.
- Password Recovery: If a user, who has signed up with their email, forgets their password, a request can be sent to reset it. By clicking on “Forgot your password” in the sign in area, a prompt will appear. If a user registered with a Linkedin or Facebook account, the password can only be reset through those networks.
- Account Settings: Clicking on the cog symbol opens the user's account settings dropdown with three options: “Update profile,” “Account settings,” and “Log out.”
- When a user clicks on “Account settings,” they can sync their Linkedin and Facebook accounts; choose which notifications they want to receive; and permanently delete their account. The user must click on “update” to save any changes. Language preference can be selected from the dropdown menu in the header menu bar
- Name and location: Users can add a maiden name, professional name, or alternate nickname to their profile. Once an alternate name has been added, it will appear in parenthesis on the user's profile page. These names are searchable, making it easier for old classmates to find each other in the network directory. Users can update their country, state and city in this section.
- Contact and Social: Users can choose to display a business or personal web address, amend contact details and decide which information will be visible to other users.
- Users can also link their Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Google+ accounts, so other users can contact them on these networks.
- Rotating Widget: On the upper right corner of the Homepage, there is a rotating widget that prompts the user to update their details. The prompts are to update their current place of employment and title; confirm their location; add their degree to or sync their Linkedin profile; and to fill in their willing to help settings (if not completed at registration).
Homepage: The Homepage is the first place a user reaches after successfully signing in. Content displayed on the Homepage, is comprised of recently posted photos, upcoming events, new job listings, most active users and updates. A selection of people that the user needs to know is shown in a fixed widget on the right hand side of the Homepage. For example, users who:
- are from the same field of study as the user
- are in the same country as the user
- have the most years elapsed since graduation
- are willing to help
In addition to this automatic content, the Homepage displays up to fixed news items, posted by Friends Select School’s alumni/ae relations office.
From the Homepage, the user can easily navigate to other parts of the platform, by clicking on the tabs on the top navigation bar:
- Me: A user's personal profile page is found under the "Me" tab on the navigation bar.
- Updates: The updates page is a feed, enabling users and admins to start a discussion, make comments, ask questions, post an article, or just say hello. Other users are able to respond by replying to the posts or "Liking" them.
Album: Users can add photos to the albums page, which features two tabs. The first tab shows all photos that have been uploaded. The photos shown in the second tab are determined by the categorization value set by the site administrator. Photos can be sorted by Date uploaded (default - most recent first), by Popularity (combination of number of views, likes and comments), or by Date taken (with the most recent first). Photos without a date will appear at the end, in the order that they were uploaded.
- If a user is tagged in a photo, a “You” will appear on the photo.
- To upload a photo, users click on “Add your photos now” and simply select the chosen photo or photos from their computer drive. Once a photo has been uploaded, the user can add a title and date, as well as tag other users.
- Clicking on a photo will enlarge the image and display the picture title, the name of the person that uploaded it and the year the photo was taken. Once enlarged, a user can comment, like and tag others.
- To change the details or delete a photo that they have uploaded, users can click on “Edit this picture.”
Events: Friends Select events and reunions will be posted to the Events Page. Users are able to attend/decline the event using the Join, Maybe, Decline options. Clicking on an individual event title reveals more detailed information. This includes more specifics about the event itself, where it is taking place (including google map image) and the time. Users are able to invite other platform users to the event by typing in their names. They can comment on the event, reply to other comments, as well as like them. Attachments can also be added to comments.
- To send targeted email invitations, fill in the categorizing fields in the form. The highlighted fields below are taken from the first two Core settings. See section on List Options Management.
Directory: See “Directory and Connecting” drop down box, below
News: On the news page, users can view news feeds from Friends Select’s existing social networks, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Flickr.
Jobs: This page displays all current job and internship opportunities individually posted by both users and site administrators. Users can sort the listing order by selecting “Job,” “Internship,” or “All.” Jobs are shown with the most recent post listed first.
- Clicking on the button “Post a new Job” opens a post a job page, with detailed fields to complete about the position being advertised, including the recruiting company, country, full description, job type, job ID and if desired, a company logo. The job creator should select how the candidates should apply to the position, either through a company website or by email.
- Editing/Deleting a Job Post: Users are able to edit and delete jobs that they have posted. If job posts are tagged “Posted by you,” the “Apply” button is replaced by the “Edit” and “Delete” buttons.
- Applying for a Job: When a user clicks on the “Apply” button, they will be directed to either an external company where the job has been posted or a compose message popup for the user to submit an application and attach a resume.
Pages: The Pages feature enables users to follow associations, clubs and special interest groups on the platform - for example, a Class reunion page - and to receive notifications from them.
- To add a new page, click on “Create a new page.” Add a page logo, page name and description. A link to an outside website can also be added if relevant. When all details have been added, click on submit. An on-screen notification will appear, letting them know their page application is under review. The page will not display until it has been approved by an administrator. Once the page has been approved, the page details can be updated by clicking on Update page.
- Users can follow a page, and receive notifications of page activity, by clicking on “Follow.” Users can message the administrators of the page, through the platform, by clicking on “Send Message.”
- Directory Listings for Registered Users: The directory listing for each user displays full name, professional work position, main academic qualification and their affiliation to the institution (other than the default user type). If a user has indicated that they are willing to help, a graduation hat image will be shown. Clicking on the “Message” button opens a compose message popup addressed to the relevant user. Users can follow other users on the platform, and receive notifications of their activity on the platform. Users can also connect with other users on LinkedIn and Facebook, where a member has either registered on the platform through one of these social networks, or later synced them with their profile.
- Directory Listings for Unregistered Users: This section of the directory appears beneath the registered user listings. These alumni/ae are pre-populated into the system that have not yet registered or created an account.
- Active users can message these unregistered users in the listing, if an email address has been uploaded. The message will be sent to the person's email, but the email address itself is not listed on the platform.
- Connecting, Following and Messaging: Once a user has found the user they are searching for, they can open that user's full profile by clicking on the person's name or profile picture.
- User profiles display registration information, as well as information that has been imported from LinkedIn and Facebook. A user's recent activity is also shown on their profile page, such as jobs posted, events, updates and photographs. Also displayed are other users and groups/pages that the person is following, or who are following them. Mentor/Mentee relationships are considered confidential and are not displayed to other users.From another member's page a user is able to:
- Message the member internally through the platform (with copy to member's email address)
- Contact directly by email
- Follow the member
- Send a mentoring request (if member has indicated a willingness to be a mentor)
- Messaging Features and Internal Platform Messaging: The envelope icon displays how many messages the user has in their inbox. Click on the icon to open the messaging tool. The messaging tool has an “Inbox” and, where the user has indicated a willingness to be a mentor, a “Mentoring request” inbox.
- Sending a Message:Clicking on “New Message” opens a compose message popup. Once a user begins typing a name in the “To” field, the names of all active users appear in a dropdown. The user can then select the person or people they wish to message and then press “send.” A copy of every message sent through the system is also sent to the user's email address. Messages can also be sent from the directory page, and from profile pages, by clicking on the “Message” and “Send Message” buttons.
- Inviting New Users: Users can invite their classmates and other FSS alumni/ae by clicking on the “invite alumni” button.
- Users can invite their contacts via Gmail, Yahoo! Mail and Hotmail, or invite their Facebook friends. Click on each icon and follow the instructions. The site provider, Graduway, does not have access to user's contacts or friends lists.
- Sending a Mentoring Request: A user can initiate a mentoring relationship with anyone who has indicated that they are willing to be a mentor. On the selected user's profile, click on the “Request mentor” button. A pop-up window will appear and the user can send a message detailing the mentoring request. The potential mentor will receive the mentoring request in their “Mentoring request” inbox, as well as by email. Users can “Accept” or “Decline” the request by clicking on the buttons. Once the user responds to the mentoring request, it will no longer appear under “Mentoring requests.” If the mentoring request is declined, a message box will open for the user to respond. The user initiating the mentor relationship will receive an email notification of the request's acceptance or denial.
- A user's mentoring relationships will appear on their profile page, but are not visible to other users
- When the user mouses over the profile picture of their mentor or mentee, they can see a short profile summary. They can also terminate the mentoring relationship by clicking on the broken link icon.
- Notifications: A copy of every message sent through the platform is sent by email to the recipient. Users will also receive notifications of the following:
- A reply to their message
- Mentoring requests, approvals and denials
- Comments and likes on their photos and updates
- New activity on Pages they are following